Turbo deflector for ventilation: principle of operation and comparison of types of rotary deflectors
The quality of ventilation in the home, office or at work directly affects the level of comfort. Excessive humidity and odors create an unhealthy atmosphere and even become causes of diseases.
That is why properly arranged ventilation is the most important condition for the commissioning of construction sites. To establish high-quality air helps turbo deflector for ventilation.
The principle of operation of the device
The work of the turbo-deflector is based on the following principles: using wind energy, the device creates a vacuum in the ventilation shaft, increases traction and pulls out the polluted air from the room, the ventilation channel, the under-roof space.
No matter how the wind direction and strength change, the rotating head (impeller) always rotates in one direction and creates a partial vacuum in the ventilation shaft.
Which increases the intensity of air movement in the pipe, eliminates the appearance of reverse thrust and improves the overall air exchange. In addition, the device prevents precipitation from entering the ventilation channel.
Rotary Turbine Design
The upper part, the turbine head, rotates due to the force of the wind, creating a vacuum inside the ventilation shaft. The lower part is attached to the channel itself. For this purpose, holes for self-tapping screws are provided at its base.
The rotary deflector may have round, square or flat square bases. At the request of the buyer, it is completed with roofing passages, designed for the slope angle from 15 to 35 °.
Advantages and disadvantages of the turbo deflector
In favor of using a turbine, the following arguments can be made:
- Quick air exchange. The rotating turbine head contributes to rapid air exchange in the ventilation shaft, prevents the formation of reverse thrust, protects the roof space from condensate accumulation. The efficiency of the rotary device is much higher than the usual deflector.
- Does not consume electrical energy, unlike electric fans, but works thanks to the strength of the wind. This puts the turbo-deflector in a line of cost-effective devices.
- Average service lifeWith regular maintenance and proper installation - about 100 thousand hours or 10 years, stainless steel models can serve up to 15 years. This is three times longer than the running time of the fans.
- Protection against precipitation. Prevents snow, hail and rain from entering ventilation ducts. It can be used in regions with strong and frequent winds.
- Compact and lightweight design. Devices with a base diameter greater than 200 mm weigh significantly less than the TsAGI deflector. The largest model (680 mm) weighs only about 9 kg, in contrast to it, the TsAGI deflector with the same base diameter can weigh about 50 kg.
- Easy installationdoes not require special knowledge and skills.
The advantages of a turbo deflector for ventilation are undoubtedly many, but there are also disadvantages.
The following facts speak against its use:
- The device is quite expensive compared to conventional deflectors.
- Adverse atmospheric conditions such as lack of wind, high humidity and negative temperatures can lead to a complete stop. It should be noted that mobile turbines are still subject to icing to a much lesser extent.
- The deflector should not be used as the primary means for removing contaminated air in rooms with increased requirements for ventilation: in medical laboratories and in factories whose work involves chemical and explosive substances.
The price of the rotary deflector is quite high compared to static devices and depends on the material used for the manufacture of stainless steel, coated steel, galvanized steel.But work efficiency pays for all costs.
Types of rotary deflectors
To improve the performance of the ventilation system, many modifications of deflectors have been developed. Some of them are static, others are rotational. The latter include turbines with a rotating impeller head, which operates due to the force of the wind.
The classification of rotary turbines can be carried out according to the following characteristics:
- manufacturing material- produce products from stainless steel, galvanized or painted metal;
- connecting ring diameter(nozzles) - it can be from 110 to 680 mm, the dimensions correspond to the typical dimensions of sewer pipes.
Manufacturers produce models of turbo deflectors that look very similar to each other. But their characteristics may differ slightly.
Here is a summary of some of them:
- Turbovent. The company of the same name produces rotational ventilation turbines made of aluminum, whose thickness is 0.5-1.0 mm. The base is made of 0.7–0.9 mm galvanized steel. The product is painted in any color according to the generally accepted color standard - RAL.
- Turbomaks. The manufacturer sells its product, calling it a natural traction pump. For the manufacture of used steel grade AISI 321 with a thickness of 0.5 mm. The product can be used for both ventilation and smoke channels, it can withstand temperatures up to +250 ° C.
These are products from high-grade stainless steel. Sounds like improved traction in ventilation systems and chimneys. Apply in conditions of temperature increase to 500 ° C.
On the market there are also products of lesser-known brands and manufacturers. The purchase of such products should be treated with caution when requesting a quality certificate.
The rotary turbine has proven itself well in the premises and at the sites where increased air exchange is required.
It is used:
- In residential private and apartment buildings. It must be remembered that the work of the ventilation shafts of multi-storey residential buildings have special requirements.The device helps to cope with the problem of insufficient ventilation of rooms, attic space, completely eliminates the phenomenon of reverse thrust.
- On livestock farms and agricultural buildings- in stables, poultry houses, granaries, barns, etc. It helps to remove gases and vapors, which are formed during the keeping of animals, maintains optimal humidity.
- In processing plants. Non-volatile ventilation system allows you to save money on energy. Exceptions are objects whose activity is related to substances hazardous to human health.
- In public places- sports complexes, swimming pools, shopping centers and cinemas.
In addition to premises, the turbine is used for ventilation of the roofing space.
How to calculate the need for devices?
For ventilation of small rooms (rooms, garages, basements) a turbine with a base diameter of 110-160 mm is used.Devices with sizes from 200 to 600 mm are suitable for rooms up to 40 m2with a permanent stay in them up to four people.
Large diameters, 400 to 680 mm are used to provide air exchange in rooms with a large area, apartment buildings, warehouses, livestock farms.
Accurately calculate the number of deflectors required for installation using the formula:
Vented volume = air change rate per hour X room volume
The number of vent deflectors = vented volume / performance deflector.
For example: The room is 12 m wide, 20 m long and 3.5 m high. Wind power is on average 3.5 m / s. Air exchange of the room should take place in 3 cycles per hour. Calculations are carried out as follows:
- Vented volume = (20x15x3.5) x 3 (number of air exchange cycles) = 3150 m3/ hour $
- 3168/800 (deflector capacity) = 3.94, i.e. 4 pcs.
Based on the calculations, for ventilation of the room it is necessary to install 4 deflectors of the corresponding model.
Installation of a turbo-deflector on chimneys of gas or oil-fired boilers is possible, provided that the outlet temperature does not exceed the maximum temperature declared by the manufacturer.
It can be from 100 to 500 ° C. At higher temperatures than allowed, it is necessary to use special high-temperature nozzles.
Turbine Installation Rules
Ventilation turbines can be installed directly on the pitched or straight roof, on the exit of the chimney or ventilation shaft. Location depends on the application of the turbine.
For ventilation of the under-roof space, a turbine with a base diameter of 315 mm is used. She can serve 50-80 m2roofs - the exact area depends on the inclination of the roofing - the smaller the angle, the greater the number of turbo-deflectors needed to be mounted.
For installation on a slop construction choose the highest point on the slope. With the improvement of the ventilation systems of residential premises installation is made on the departure of the ventilation shaft.
Performing installation of a rotary turbine on the chimney pipe, the calculation of its height is carried out with the device. That is, the turbo-deflector, as part of the chimney increases its length.
The rules for placing the chimney with respect to the ridge remain the same as when installing the pipe without any nozzles:
- If the distance from the ridge to the pipe is less than or equal to 1.5 m, then the pipe is raised 0.5 m above the ridge.
- The height of the pipe, placed at a distance of 1.5 to 3 m, may be equal to the height of the ridge.
- At a distance of more than 3 m from the ridge, the top of the pipe should be no lower than the level of the conventional line drawn down by 10 ° from the height of the ridge.
To reduce heat loss in winter through the ventilation system, the manufacturer allows the use of valves (for residential premises) or adjustable air intake devices (for storage and production areas).
Service and repair
Virtually the only malfunction of the device is the lack of rotation of the impeller. The reasons for this may be several:
- Insufficient wind power or none at all.It is necessary to make sure that the wind is sufficient for the device to work normally.
- Bearing jammed.In this case, check whether there are any mechanical obstacles to their rotation. If necessary, lubricate or replace the bearing.
- There was a freezing deflector.You need to check the device or wait for the temperature to rise.
- Mechanical damage.You need to see if there is a foreign object in the device.
The turbo deflector used for ventilation is a fairly simple device, it does not require frequent maintenance.
To prolong the time of his service it is enough to lubricate the bearings once a year (after the winter). For processing use lithol - waterproof grease based on recycled petroleum products.
To lubricate or replace a failed bearing, remove the cap, unclip the retaining ring with a special tool - a puller - and lubricate or replace the bearing.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
What is a rotary deflector for ventilation:
What to choose for ventilation: a turbo-deflector or a TsAGI deflector:
How to repair the turbo deflector yourself:
The most optimal solution to the problem is always simple. It is no longer necessary to install electric fans to improve the draft in the ventilation ducts. The emergence of turbo-deflectors on the market deprived consumers of many problems.