Tell you what is structural steel
Application of steel has long been widely included in ourlife and does not cause anybody any doubts about its expediency. However, we should not forget that there are different. To date, there are several types of this material:
- Structural steel.
- Steel tool.
- Steel of individual purpose with special properties.
Let's talk about structural steels today. This is the name of all types that are used in the production of building structures, as well as parts of machines and mechanisms.
Types of material
Steel structural is divided into two large groups:
- High-quality structural alloyed.
- Qualitative constructional carbonaceous.
All these types are applied in one or another area of production, performing the functions assigned to them.
Structural alloyed steel
Quite often, to improve the technological, physico-chemical, strength properties in steel, add various elements,that is, they alloy it. Basically, chromium, nickel, and manganese are used for these purposes. Structural quality steels can contain as one, and several such elements. In this regard, there are:
- Low-alloy (the number of additives is not more than 2.5%).
- Medium-doped (the indicator may increase to 10%).
- Highly alloyed (additional elements make up more than 10%).
In order to understand how additives work,it is necessary to understand the composition of the material. The basis of it is ferrite (approximately 90% of the volume). The alloying elements dissolve in the ferrite, thereby increasing its strength. Silicon, nickel and manganese are especially effective in this regard. But chromium, tungsten and molybdenum have a weaker effect.
It should be noted that structural steelalloyed differs low weldability. This is due to the hardening of the weld zone and the formation in its structure of structures that are brittle. Therefore, in the welding process, special technologies are used, developed individually for this type of steel.
Structural steel, low alloyedis used for the production of locomotives, wagons, agricultural machines. All these products are characterized by their ability to withstand variable loads. Parameters of weldability of such steel have no limitations.
High-alloyed steel produces blades and rotors of turbines, reactors, pipes of steam pipelines and collectors.
Structural carbon steel
The second species is also represented by several species, such as:
- Machine building. Structural steel of this type is used in the production of cars.
- Automatical. It is from this steel make different fasteners. It is in no way suitable for welding, all parts are machined.
- Boiler room. Indispensable where it comes to the manufacture of boilers and vessels, which must withstand high temperatures. This steel has good weldability.
Structural steel is the material without which the manufacture of certain types of structures and parts becomes impossible.