Planting turnips and radishes in 2019: calendar
The calendar for planting turnips and radish in 2019 is very similar to the schedule for growing other root vegetables. And yet for these cultures have their own characteristics. Turnips and radishes are indispensable root vegetables on the table. Turnips, for example, our ancestors called the second bread, and radishes are respected for the whole complex of vitamins that are so necessary for a person in the spring.
The moon has a huge impact on all processes occurring on our planet. Experienced gardeners know that there are periods when it is absolutely impossible to engage in agricultural work.
- New moon and full moon, as well as the day before and after these days, are only suitable for controlling weeds and pests. Plant, fertilize, cultivate the land can not.
- The growing moon contributes to the growth of the land part of the plants. During this period, you can plant, weed beds, make fertilizer.
- The waning moon is the period of growth of the underground part of plants. This is the time when you need to plant turnips and radishes.
In 2019, predicts early spring, so the calendar for planting root crops should be made from March. In this case, it is necessary to take into account not only the phases of the moon, but also what sign of the zodiac dominates the sky. The most successful for root crops are Capricorn, Pisces, Taurus, Cancer, Libra, Scorpio. If you plan to grow turnips for long-term storage, then the Moon should be in Capricorn, Taurus or Scorpio. But Pisces and Cancer contribute to good growth, but give a crop that is not suitable for long-term storage.
Unsuitable for root crops signs - Aquarius, Aries, Gemini, Leo, Virgo, Sagittarius. It is better to devote this time to weeding. Seeds planted under these signs sprout for a long time, the roots are painful.
In 2019, such a calendar will be relevant:MonthFavorable daysUnfavorable days
|March||23, 24, 28, 29||5-7, 20-22, 26, 27, 30, 31|
|April||2, 3, 21, 24-26, 29, 30||4-6, 18-20, 22, 23, 27, 28|
|May||1, 21-23, 26-28, 31||2-6, 18-20, 24, 25, 29, 30|
|June||1, 19||2-4, 16-18|
How to plant a turnip
This root crop is sown twice a year. Seeds tolerate low temperatures, so you can start planting turnips immediately after the snow melts, that is, in early spring. The second sowing occurs at the beginning of June and even at the beginning of July. The people have a sign: "This turnip is July 12, clean September 28."Spring sowing will yield in summer, but such root crops are not suitable for long-term storage, and the sown seeds in June-July will just allow you to enjoy the turnip all winter. To grow a rich harvest, you must observe the following rules:
- Sour and loamy soil turnips are not suitable.
- In the previous season, potatoes, cucumbers, onions or zucchini should grow at the place of cultivation. But the ground after the radish, the turnip, the cabbage root is not suitable.
- The seeds are very small, so before planting they are mixed with peat or pasted on paper, leaving a distance of 10 cm.
- Turnips are sown to a depth of 1 cm. Seeds are sprinkled with earth, watered moderately and covered with foil.
- If the time of planting is chosen correctly, then the first shoots can be seen in 4-6 days.
- Thinning is carried out twice: the first time at the stage of the appearance of two leaves. The second time - after 5-6 leaves. The distance between the plants must be at least 10 cm, otherwise the fruits will be small.
- With a long light day, this culture begins to bloom, but at the same time it does not like shade. For turnips need a smooth, well-lit area.
- With a lack of moisture fruits grow medium-sized and tasteless.Watering is very important at the beginning of growth and a month before harvesting.
- For fertilizer do not use fresh manure. After it, the roots grow empty.
- You can feed the plants with wood ash.
How to grow a big turnip:video tricks
How to plant radishes
This juicy red root vegetable, which is one of the first to appear on our table after winter, is quite unpretentious in cultivation.
- For radish, the optimal temperature is 10-15 degrees, but no more, otherwise there is a risk to grow a bitter vegetable. Do not be afraid of frost on the ground, because the seeds of this root can withstand temperatures up to -3 degrees.
- In early spring, the seeds germinate slowly, at a temperature of + 10-12 on day 7, and at +20 on 4-5.
- Radishes are planted in the winter in the greenhouse, in the spring for early harvest and in August to be pampered with fresh radish in the fall.
- The soil, as for the turnip, should be sandy. Avoid the beds where cabbage was previously grown.
- Prepare the earth, add ash to it. Never use fresh manure, it is harmful to the roots.
- Before planting radish ground is well moistened. This root crop does not tolerate drought at all times.
- The distance between the seeds is 4-5 cm.
- When 1-2 leaves appear, begin thinning.
- The most frequent problems are damage to the cruciferous flea and the larvae of the cabbage fly. To keep plants healthy, they are treated with a mixture of tobacco dust and wood ash.
- Planting radishes in the fall, you can get a crop, ready for long-term storage. To do this, root crops must be poured with sand and put in the cellar (at a temperature of -2-5 degrees).