Pavers do it yourselfJune 9, 2012
Cobblestone is one of the most common coatings for garden paths and sidewalks. It is sold in construction organizations and stores and is available in different colors, shapes and from different materials. In addition, paving can be done by hand, since this process is not complex. The self-made stone blocks has among other advantages and low cost that allows to save on arrangement of a garden or the yard. Another of its advantages is environmental friendliness. In the manufacture of paving stones used concrete, therefore it is safe for humans and does not emit fumes even at high temperatures.
There are two ways of making pavers - vibrocasting and vibropressing. To say which of these methods is better is quite difficult, since each of them has its own advantages and disadvantages. It is noted only that it is easier to guarantee the quality of the paving stones by casting. It is not so difficult to master this method, and with successful development it is possible to ensure not only your own paving with your stone blocks, but also to make this process a profitable business.
For the production of paving stones, first of all, you need a room - large enough to accommodate a table for molding and an additional table, a rack with forms, the forms themselves, etc. You will also need: forms for paving stones, mixtures of cement, sand and other additional components, mineral dyes (dry pigments).
Forms for the production of pavers
It is forms that play an important role in the production of this material. They are rubber, polyurethane and plastic. Each type has its own characteristics and terms of exploitation.
- Rubber (silicone) molds withstand about five hundred production cycles of pavers, they do not require steaming, and they do not require additional equipment (for example, formwork). These forms come in a matte or glossy surface.
- Polyurethane forms are used in cases where it is necessary to create a relief surface with fine details. The mixtures are kept in such forms two times less than in other types of forms, and it is very convenient to remove the finished products from these forms. High durability of polyurethane causes their low damage rate during use.The average number of cycles of their use is 80-100.
- Plastic molds for pavers can be used for 230-250 production cycles. They can be used for the production of non-standard tiles, but usually rectangular and square plastic forms are in great demand. Usually the plastic molds for paving stones are presented in stores. They can be not only different shapes, but also have a relief or pattern that is printed on the finished product.
- If desired, forms for paving stones can be made independently, for example, knock down a box of wooden planks. Also use a variety of plastic containers or make forms from scrap metal pipes.
The main difference between purchased forms and self-made ones is the absence of the need to lubricate them, but the forms made with your own hands must be coated with drying oil, lube or any other suitable lubricant before pouring the mixture.
Mold Filling Mixtures
As a casting compound for the manufacture of paving stones, different mixtures are used, but each of them is based on sand and cement. From the color of sand depends on the appearance of paving stones.So, if an elegant light tile is planned, then it is better to use white quartz sand. As for the ratio of ingredients, it is usually one part of cement and three parts of sand, and water is added so much that the mixture is quite viscous.
You can add gravel to the grout, which will make them not only stronger, but also give similarity to natural stone. For these purposes, fine gravel is used. Two parts of cement and two parts of sand add two parts of gravel. You can also add a plasticizer to the mixture to improve the quality of the mixture.
Dyes for pavers
Dry powder paints (mineral dyes) can be added at the stage of mixing the solution to obtain a uniform color. But this option is only suitable when the color of paving stones is planned to be dim or cement is used white. It is also possible to paint paving stones on top in the production stage. To do this, the semi-finished products in the drying stage are sprinkled with the selected dye, and then it is carefully, trying not to damage the surface, rubbed into the solution using a metal trowel. In this case, the coloring will be more efficient and you can get a bright color.
- For greater strength, pavement must be strengthened with the help of reinforcement - these can be pieces of metal rods, for example.
- Forms for paving stones are filled with a mixture of half, spread on the solution of a grid of metal rods and fill the forms completely. Next, the solution is carefully tamped, level the surface and smooth it.
- If you plan to pave with a pattern, you can use ready-made forms with a pattern or, with homemade forms, apply the pattern to the tiles using a special stamp (seal). It is made of hard wire, and then pressed into the solution to the required depth.
- For smooth, glossy paving stones, its surface is polished (or as this process is also called “ironed”). To do this, dry the tiles sprinkled with dry cement and rubbing it with quick movements until a smooth surface. You can also use a metal treadmill.
- For the decoration of paving stones, you can use small beautiful stones, laying them out in random order or in a specific pattern.
- Paving will harden for about three days (it depends on the composition of the mortar and the thickness of the products).In order for the products not to become covered with cracks during this process, it is necessary to moisten the tile surfaces with water from time to time, especially if the paving stones are made in summer.