How to trim the steering wheel?
The steering wheel for many is the main part of the car,without which it is impossible to imagine the management of its "iron horse". Therefore, I want him to always look presentable and beautiful. Ways to change and improve the appearance of the steering wheel set, the most popular of them - to tighten the steering wheel. With your own hands, this can be done no worse than that of professionals. And if you put a minimum of effort into it, the result will pleasantly surprise you. You can, of course, make a waist of the steering wheel with any material, preferably one that would be combined with the interior of the car. But it is preferable to tighten the steering wheel with genuine leather, because it is soft enough and strong at the same time. This is what will serve the best way, because The steering wheel is the most used part of the car.
This is truly the most popular way of tuning,but you need to know approximately how to trim the steering wheel car. Usually, the pulling of the steering is due to the replacement of the old worn out braid, but often it is a way to decorate your car and somehow stand out. Also, do not forget about the constriction of the steering wheel, as part of the overall tuning, when the owner can change the shape of the steering wheel. Drag the steering wheel you can skin any color, if only it harmoniously looked in the car salon. You can also add contrasting inserts - at your discretion.
Ways of tightening the handlebars
Because you are limited by your capabilities, andshould choose how to trim the steering wheel itself - in whole or in part. The most laborious option is a complete tightening of the steering wheel, with all its component parts. Therefore, it is possible to make only a partial constriction of the rudder, for example, only the rim:
- In order to cover the rim of the car, it is necessarydo the templar, but you can also purchase a special steering braid in the store. But the self-sewn casing will give your car a special color and steering wheel will look individually.
- There is also a special kit, which includespieces of leather that have a suitable size under the rim of the rudder, as well as yarn for pulling together. Only to buy such a package is desirable in the brand store of your car brand, so you will not mess with the dimensions.
- You only need to pull the leather parts onsteering wheel with a thread in the prepared holes, the so-called. the seam. If you are not sure of the strength of the yarn, then you can use a fishing line. This sufficiently fast process of covering the rim rim takes no more than 1-2h.
- In parallel, you can make the rim thicker. To do this, it is necessary to wind on the rim of the rudder splice or other suitable soft material, and only then tighten the rim of the skin.
Handholding the rudder
Pulling the wheel requires some knowledge andsuitable tools, and materials. So first you need to know what your future steering wheel will look like - from a solid canvas or with inserts. You can even make a sketch. Also, before you tighten the steering wheel with your skin, you need to have:
- 1 average hank of paint tape or paint tape.
- Food film or cellophane.
- Marker, preferably black.
- Stationery knife, as sharp as possible.
- Dense kapron thread.
- Cardboard of medium density.
- Sewing firm needles. It is desirable to take the Soviet, tk. modern can bend.
- The average size of thimbles is 2 pcs.
- Thick soft natural leather.
It does not matter what kind of material you are going to cover the steering wheel, the actions will be similar. First you need to make a pattern:
- Before you cover the steering wheel with leather, you need to observeall sizes so as not to overspend the material. To do this, wrap the steering wheel with a film, and then wrap it with a paint tape. This will be the basis for the pattern. It is necessary to mark all the details with the marker.
- Then the parts need to be cut from the painting tape andshould be left overnight. It is better to put the parts under oppression, so they will get a suitable even shape. As a result, the form may not be very even, it does not affect the result in any way, because leather is an elastic material, and can stretch out.
- The final pattern, after the transfer of the parts withpaint tape, you need to make a cardboard. The details of the pattern must be numbered so that there is no confusion. Only after this, you can transfer the pattern to the skin. After this, the details need to be cut using a clerical knife. Do everything you need as accurately as possible.
- After cutting, you can even "try on" the result on the steering wheel to check the size match and other nuances.
- In parallel, you can get rid of scrollingSteering wheel on a steel basis, the so-called. "Gas passes". To do this, use epoxy resin, this will help, just like the correct tightening of the steering wheel by the skin.
- Since you need to tighten the steering wheel with a soft skin, you need to hold the skin about 40 minutes in warm water for this purpose.
- Stapling is a strong thread, be sureyou need to check that it does not tear. Indentation with this should be 2-3 mm, this will be quite enough. Preliminary it is necessary to sew a test piece of a skin to check up ability of the machine, a needle and threads to sustain such loading. And only after that it is necessary to start sewing the details of the steering wheel cover.
- To ensure that the skin was tightly fixed, it is necessary to use glue on the edges. It is better to take the glue "Super-Moment" or other special and reliable glue.
- The tightening of the horn of the rudder should be done with a solid piece of damp skin. On the reverse side of the steering wheel, you also need to tighten the skin with threads and glue the edges with glue.
- To give the glossy steering wheel a shinetreat it with suitable wax. If you do not find it on sale, you can use a shoe polish, which also includes wax. The cream must be melt in pairs, in a suitable container, and apply a warm and liquid cream to the skin. After that, it is necessary to treat the surface of the steering wheel with a flannel cloth.
Pulling the wheel at home will costmuch cheaper than a similar procedure in the atelier. As the disadvantages of this method can be called an uneven seam, poorly machined rudder edges and other shortcomings. If you do not pay attention to it, then this method is for you. Well, and if you are not sure of your abilities, then you should turn to professionals. In the studio you can specify the type and method of constriction, adding contrast inserts, and other more complex, and, accordingly, spectacular operations with the steering wheel.
Now you know all about how to tighten the steering wheel with your own hands. This will allow you to realize your creativity and make the skin the way you like. We wish you good luck!