How to record a video with a webcam?
Sometimes you need to record a video withwebcams. This is useful, for example, to send friends a video message or to record a video and put it on the network. The quality of the video recorded by the webcam still allows you to wish for better, but you will still be able to record the average level. Most webcams support resolutions ranging from 0.3 megapixels to 2. Since many of us use not only Windows 7, but also Windows Vista, or even XP, in this article we will try to consider all the options for how to record a video web- camera, given the different features of these operating systems.
There is a wonderful program forwork with video. It is very convenient for beginners, and has enough functionality to record or "assemble" the video. Also, it is convenient if you have an old, low-power computer. The program is not very demanding on resources.
To record a video in this program, follow a few simple steps:
- Go to the "Start" / "All Programs" menu and open Windows Movie Maker
- In the program window go to the menu "File" / "Record video"
- In the dialog that appears, select your webcam
- Save the resulting video clip using the "File" / "Save" menu
Windows Vista and Windows 7
Previously, Windows Vista also had a built-inthe program Movie Maker Live, but the development was unsuccessful, and was excluded from most assemblies of this OS. It is because of this, now we should think about using third-party software. Which in many areas exceeds its counterparts built into the OS by default.
One of the most simple and popular programs,used for our purposes, is VirtualDub. It has a lot of possibilities, ranging from video capture and ending with the imposition of various filters and effects. This program has a lot of advantages over its heavyweight counterparts:
- The possibility of cutting and gluing the video sequence
- Transcoding and converting between many modern video file formats
- Working with multiple audio tracks and the possibility of arbitrary overlaying them
- Supports many video file formats: .mpeg, .dat, .mpg, .avi, .divX
But in this article we will consider only one of itsfunctions - video capture. Here it is implemented perfectly, the video does not slow down, the sound is recorded without lagging behind the picture, with minimal CPU usage. All this is due to the fact that the program is written in a low-level programming language.
You can record video from a webcam in the following way:
- Install the program VirtualDub, after downloading it from the Internet or buying;
- Run the program VirtualDub, finding it in the list of all programs in the "Start" menu;
- In the window that opens, go to the "File" / "CaptureAVI" menu.
Now we must see the image thatour webcam is broadcasting. If this does not happen, then you need to select the desired camera in the settings. In this case, you must do the following:
- Go to the "Device" menu;
- Select your camera from the list of all devices in it.
Now the picture from the webcam should appear on theyour monitor. It remains only to specify the folder in which the recorded video will be saved and start recording. To do this, first go to the "File" / "SetCapturefile" menu, and then specify the path to the desired folder. With the F5 key, we can now start recording video, and to stop recording, use the Esc key.