How to play bass guitar?
The bass guitar is a string-plucked instrument. This is a kind of electric guitar, but it is much more massive, its strings are longer and thicker. There are usually 4 strings on this guitar. The bass guitar is used to perform modern and jazz music, or rather for accompaniment or rhythmic support. To learn how to play the bass guitar, you need to spend a little time learning the theory and only then practice. We can offer you lessons and exercises for a beginner bass player who are well described on this site.
Types of playing the bass guitar
Pick up a mediator, it will help make the sound more vivid and loud. The mediator must be chosen "for himself," he should not slip out of his hand. Now consider a few tricks of playing the bass guitar.
- "Slap" - this is a sharp blow with the thumb over the string. The sound is quite original.
- "Tapping" or piano method. The technique is executed with both hands. To do this, you need to strike your fingers over the string with a finger over a certain fret. The left hand plays the bass, and the right one - the rhythm.
- "Change of frets." To change the frets, a simple search or slide is sufficient (this is sliding the finger along the neck along the pressed string).
- "Rising Legato." For this reception, you need to sharply, even with a blow, to press the string a couple of frets above the sound, which is "created" with your right hand.
- "Lifting". It is obtained as a result of the performance of such a technique: a clamped string must be carried across the neck.
- "Descending Legato." It is necessary to clamp 2 frets on the 1st string (it will be better if not in a row). With your right hand, you need to remove the first sound. Then abruptly remove the finger of the left hand, which clamps the string in the place where the sound, and leave the other finger in place.
- "Natural flageoletons". To do this, touch the finger of the left hand in the place where the string is divided into 2, 3, 4, etc. parts. In this case, the string should not bend. The right hand is needed to pull the string. After that, remove the left hand.
Rules of the game on the bass guitar
First we connect the guitar to the network. You need to start with the correct position of the guitar in your hands. Learning to keep it properly is fairly easy. There are several basic positions:
- The first position is at the chest level. Usually this method is used when performing "blind" jazzmen, as well as owners of six-string instruments.
- The second position is at the waist level. Most often they are used by rock musicians. This method is very convenient when playing a mediator. But the downside is that it makes it difficult to "blind".
- The third position is at the knee level. For "blind" the most successful option, but for "tappinga" does not fit.
In order to understand how to play the bass guitar, you need to choose the most convenient option for you the location of the musical instrument.
What does the right hand do?
Depending on the direction of the music and the desiredthe effect should be determined, than to play - with fingers or a mediator. If you prefer the game with your fingers, then you will need to prepare them for playing the bass guitar. It is necessary to prune your nails so that they do not interfere with the execution (they can create unnecessary sounds). Also, you need to study 3 variants of setting in the finger game.
- The first option - the brush should not rest on the deck, and fingers should touch the strings only with one tip. This method is considered quite complicated.
- The second option - you need to rest on the edge of the palm rest on the deck, bridge or strings. With this performance it will be quite difficult to muffle the strings in the pizzicato.
- The third option - you need to lean your thumb on the bridge or pickup. The main thing is to follow the alternation of fingers in any of the ways of execution.
What does the left hand do?
The technique of the left hand needs to be developed, to understand,how to play the bass guitar. The cushions of the fingers of this hand need to clamp the string between the two flaps (they are called either ladder numbers or numbers). Clamp the string must be strong, so that it sounds more sonorous when pinching it with your right hand. The more clamping, the higher the note that is played. Use your free fingers to mute strings that are not needed for sound.
This is a training video that will allow youlearn to play the guitar, and to be more precise, it is specifically considered a bass guitar, playing an experienced musician online, and so he can visually show everything.