How to plant potatoes?
Watch the video
Many urban residents, never beforeworking on the land, having a summer cottage, are confident that they will certainly be able to grow potatoes in their garden, because it's so simple - he dug a hole, threw potatoes into it, covered it with earth, and the harvest is already guaranteed. What is the disappointment of such grief-gardeners, when from the three sacks of potatoes planted this way, in the fall they manage to collect only two sacks of tubers.
It turns out that even in such a simple matter as planting potatoes, there are still small tricks and secrets that help to get a rich harvest. We will tell you about some of them now.
How to plant potatoes - general rules and useful advice.
Regardless of the way you will beplant potatoes - manually or with the help of a motoblock, you first of all should take care of the selection and preliminary preparation of quality planting material.
Planting potatoes. What should it be?
If you are not a first year grow potatoes,then you need to start picking the tubers for planting in the fall. For this purpose, beforehand, while the potato tops are still green, mark the most powerful and strong plants with pegs. In the autumn, when you dig potatoes, choose planting tubers from these, the best, bushes. The optimal size of the tuber intended for planting is the size of a chicken egg. If you plant potatoes for the first time or just want to try new varieties, buy seed potatoes in a good gardening store.
Preparation of potatoes before planting
- For three to four weeks before planting, beginto germinate the seed potatoes. First rinse the tubers in a solution of potassium permanganate, then spread them into one layer on pallets and place the pallets in a well-lit warm place (t 20-22 ° C).
- Spray the tubers every two days and gentlyInvert them. For best results, you can alternate spraying: once sprayed with clean water, the next time - a freshly prepared solution of ash or mineral fertilizers.
- In two weeks, when the tubers will appear strong, green shoots, move the pallets to a cooler place, for example, on the glassed veranda.
When to plant potatoes
Optimum planting time for potatoes in mediumthe middle of May. But this date is very arbitrary, everything depends on the weather. It is necessary to wait, when the soil will dry up and warm up to 10 ° С, and only after that to start landing. According to folk signs, the planting time of potatoes comes when young leaves on birches become the size of a penny.
Where to plant potatoes
- Do not plant potatoes from year to year on one and the samethe same place, observe the rules of crop rotation. The best predecessors for potatoes are zucchini, cucumbers, pumpkins, squash and winter rye. Also potatoes can be planted on a site where before it grew corn, cabbage or beans.
- Land for potatoes begin to prepare at the beginning of last autumn - before plowing, pour urea and superphosphate into the soil. If the soil is very heavy, in addition to fertilizers, add river sand to it.
- Plant potatoes in freshly plowed, still damp earth.
How to plant potatoes by hand
- The first thing to do is to plow the cultivator and disentangle the land in the area intended for potatoes.
- In order for the beds to be even, mark outdirection of the first of them. Have the beds in the direction "north-south", and not "west-east". At the edges of opposite sides of the site, beat the pins against each other and stretch the twine between them - this will be the direction of the first row of potatoes.
- Dig at the beginning of this line with a bayonet shovelThe first hole, about 15 cm deep. Here it should be said that it is better to plant potatoes with an assistant - you dig, and the assistant puts tubers in the holes. So, after the assistant dropped the potatoes into the hole, fill the hole with ground, take a narrow step and dig the next hole.
- Continue this whole process until you get toend of the site. As a result, you should get a smooth row of potatoes, planted with an interval of 40-45 cm, which corresponds to the average width of your step.
- The next row is marked in the same way, placing it at a distance of 85-95 cm from the previous one.
A little tip: to increase the yield in each hole before laying potatoes in it, pour two or three handfuls of humus mixed with fertilizers.
How to plant potatoes with a motoblock
Quickly plant potatoes on a large plot of landyou can in the event that you have a farm in the farm and a hinged potato planter. The principle of its action is that the potato-planter has a special plow that digs parallel grooves of a given depth at equal distances from each other, and a hopper-dispenser, immediately spreading potato tubers into the furrows. Immediately after the potatoes are in the furrows, they are covered with earth by a special hiller built into the potato planter.
Other tips for gardeners who dream of large potato yields are contained in the article How to Plant Potatoes.
A variety of information about other garden crops are available on our website in the Vegetables section.