How to get rid of constipation?
Probably, each of us at least once in his life was tormented by such an unpleasant phenomenon as constipation. What is this ailment and how to get rid of constipation quickly?
Constipation is a violation of the bowel function, whichmanifested in increasing the intervals between acts of defecation. For a person in different periods of life, constipation can be caused by different causes, and accordingly, the treatment of constipation should be built for each according to its scheme. There are constipations in newborns, in women during pregnancy and after childbirth and in people leading a sedentary lifestyle.
How to get rid of constipation in a newborn
Constipation in newborns are of two types:
- Organic (associated with vaginal flaws);
- functional (associated with violations of the diet of a nursing mother, rickets, intestinal dysbiosis, early transfer to artificial feeding).
If constipation is not treated in a timely manner, it canlead to violations of digestion and absorption of food, which will subsequently affect the overall condition and development of the child. The criterion for assessing the occurrence of constipation is the absence of stool for two days. At the same time, you do not need to self-medicate, give your child laxatives or put enemas! Be sure to consult a pediatrician who himself will determine one of the ways to treat constipation:
- dietary therapy of nursing mothers (necessaryto exclude from the diet products that can promote gassing in the intestines of the child, drink more water, eat more kefir, dried apricots and prunes);
- massage and exercise therapy (regularly lay the baby on the tummy before feeding, do therapeutic exercises, stroke the stomach clockwise);
- use of medications (such as Dufalac, containing lactulose);
- mechanical emptying of the intestine (using a gas pipe and enema).
How to get rid of constipation after childbirth and during pregnancy
During pregnancy, a toilet for a womanbecomes a kind of ritual - this need can be found even during meals, an hour later and even at night during sleep. The main cause of constipation in a pregnant woman is the increased production of hormones, which slow down the work of the muscles of the gastrointestinal tract. In order not to suffer from constipation, one should adhere to the following:
- active walking stimulates the intestines;
- if you feel the need to empty the intestines, go straight to the toilet;
- do a Kegl exercise to strengthen the muscles of the pelvic floor;
- include in your diet food with a high fiber content (raw vegetables, prunes, beets);
- drink in the morning before breakfast a glass of water with lemon.
Problems with stools after childbirth can be caused by the following reasons:
- the rectum was squashed during the child's progression through the birth canal;
- immediately after childbirth the intestine can not work as effectively as it used to be;
- before giving birth, women are usually made with a cleansing enema, so in the first 2-3 days of normal bowel movement usually does not happen;
- The obstacle to postpartum defecation may be fear of divergence of sutures.
In order to get rid of constipation after childbirth, it is necessary:
- To include in the diet foods rich in fiber (dried fruits, nuts, prunes, fruits and vegetables, bread with bran), drink more liquid.
- With a natural urge not to be afraid that seams will part, it is better to relax and let fears go.
- Do not wear weights during the recovery period after childbirth.
- If nevertheless bowel movements do not occur within 3 days, it is better to make a cleansing enema or put a glycerin candle.
How to get rid of chronic constipation
People experiencing difficulty in emptyingintestines, a lot, and those who are over sixty, constipation occurs in every second. In order for the bowel to be emptied regularly, a sufficient supply of bile to the lumen of the intestine and the readiness of the intestinal wall to contraction are necessary. Unfortunately, there are a lot of reasons for constipation, starting with a sedentary lifestyle and malnutrition before turning guts and forming polyps. More accurate causes of the disease can be made only by a doctor, so if you suffer from chronic constipation, do not delay your visit to the proctologist.
Below we describe the general methods of treating constipation, which can be used at home:
- restore a clear schedule for food intake and bowel movement;
- eat properly (facilitate emptyingintestines raw fruits and vegetables, dried fruits, buckwheat, herring, kvass, sour cream, kissels, fermented milk products, and detain black tea, cocoa, coffee);
- move more;
- Limit or replace medications that promote constipation;
- Do at least one of the sports (running, biking, fast walking);
- do not abuse laxatives;
- drink at night a glass of yogurt;
- a day, drink at least 1.5-2 liters of fluid;
- use medicinal and cleansing enemas;
- drink more mineral water.
Surgical treatment of constipation is performed only after a complete examination of patients in special proctologic clinics.
If you are interested in additional information on this issue, see one more article on our portal "What to do with constipation?".