How to format a C drive?
Watch the video
Formatting the hard drive C is the simplestA way to get rid of unnecessary data stored on it, and prepare it for the installation of the operating system. Read more about it in the article What is disk formatting.
Formatting can be complete (withall data is deleted, but often it takes quite a long time) and a fast (less qualitative way, in which the contents of the disk are cleaned up, but the data remains and overwrite only as new information is written to disk).
You can perform this operation in Windows 7 both with standard tools and with special programs.
How to format a drive With Windows 7 tools
- To start, click "Start" and select "Run ..."
If such an item is missing, get into the window"Disk management" you can by selecting "Start" "Control Panel", then the "System and Security" tab, then - "Administration", and then - "Computer Management."
- After that, write the command "diskmgmt.msc" in the "Open" field, click on "OK".
- Before you open the "Disk Management" window, in which you will need to select the necessary disk for formatting - that is, drive C.
- Click on it with the right button and choose the option "Format" in the opened context menu.
- After that, you will see a window in whichIt will be necessary to choose the formatting method: actually, fast or full. Choose the method that suits you best (if there are obvious problems with the disc, you should choose the second one).
- After that, wait until the end of the process: when it is completed, you can use the blank drive C, as you wish: install the operating system there or discard the necessary files.
More information about formatting can be found in the How to format the hard disk.
Formatting with Acronis Disk Director
Now you can find many programs that allow you to quickly and efficiently format hard disks. Perhaps, the most known and widespread such program is Acronis Disk Director.
Formatting a hard disk with this software is done through the BIOS. To begin with, you will need to purchase an Acronis Disk Director boot disk or write it yourself.
After that, run the disk through the BIOS. To do this, you will need to insert it into the drive and restart the computer. As soon as it starts to boot again, run the BIOS: it is done by pressing the "Del" button on the computer keyboard or "F2" on the laptop keyboard.
Important! In more rare cases, the BIOS on laptops is started with the help of other buttons. If pressing "F2" does not work, look for the button you need to start in your device's instructions or try the methods in the How to go to the BIOS article.
If everything is done correctly and you pressed the right button in time, you will see the BIOS screen.
You need to find in it the item "Boot" (donethis is done using the "right" and "left" arrows on the keyboard, the choice of the item is done by pressing "Enter"). After that, you will open the Boot-menu, where you will need to select the option "Boot Device Priority" (this is done using the up and down arrows on the keyboard).
When you see the list of boot devices, select"CD-ROM" and move it to the first line of the list. Save the changes and close the BIOS. After that, you will be able to boot from the Acronis Disk Director disk.
- When the boot disk menu opens before you, select the advanced version of the program: Acronis Disk Director Advanced.
- In front of you, you will see the Bootable agent window of the program, where you will need to select an item called "Start the management console".
- Then you will see a window in which all the available physical hard disks are displayed, as well as the logical partitions created on them.
- Select drive C and right-click on it, then you will see a shortcut menu. In it, you will need to select the "Format" option.
- The program can specify additional optionsformatting. So, in the list called "File System" you will need to select NTFS, and the cluster size is best left with Auto. The label of the volume is the name of the section, which will then be displayed in Explorer. This field can be left blank. After all the changes are made, click on "OK."
- After that, click the "Apply scheduled operations" button. You will see a window containing a list of operations to be performed on the disk. Click on "Continue".
- This will start the formatting process. When finished, click on "Close".
- Now the disk is completely formatted. You will need to close the program window and click the "Restart" button to restart the computer.
To avoid rebooting Acronis Disk Director, remove the disk from the drive or change the priority of the boot devices in the BIOS again.
Important! Formatting system disks using Acronis Disk Director or similar Partition Manager Professional has its own nuances. Read more about them on how to format a system disk.