How to drain water from a water heater to preserve the water supply system
In country or country houses that are not used for living in the cold season, it is necessary to take care in advance of preparing all engineering systems for the winter. This also applies to devices for heating water. Experts know how to drain water from a water heater quickly and accurately.
Anyone who faces this task for the first time will be interested to learn about the principle of performing actions and possible difficulties.
Reasons for draining water from a water heater
The problem of preserving the water supply system is relevant if the room temperature can drop to +5 ° C and below.
A negative temperature will cause the fluid in the pipes and tank to freeze, which can lead to ruptures and damage to the water heater and piping.
Some manufacturers do not recommend leaving the device for a long time without water for a good reason, as contact with oxygen causes corrosion to occur much faster. But in the case of storage of the device at sub-zero temperatures, all the water from the system must be drained.
Even if the boiler is used all year round, it still needs to be cleaned periodically. Do it once or twice a year - depending on the quality of the water. In addition, during operation there is accumulation of dirt and bacteria (and evenlegionellathat causes inflammation of the lungs), scale is formed, which covers the inner walls of the container.
Scale, settling on TEN-, works as a thermal insulator. The longer the water heater is not cleaned, the thicker insulating layer it is covered. Because of this, the device warms itself more over time than it treats water. With a dirty heating element, the power consumption increases by 25–50%.
A number of manufacturers in the documentation for the heating unit indicate that in order to prevent the discharge of a small amount of water through the drain tube should be carried out at least once a month. This is done to remove lime sludge and monitor the flawless operation of the valve (crane).
To remove water from water-heating equipment, there are a number of standard prerequisites:
Signs by which it is determined that it is time to purge without delay:
- The water pressure has become weaker;
- The water began to warm longer;
- The device began to produce an unusual noise;
- From a safety valve, water drips very often or not at all;
- It's time for routine preventive cleaning.
The need to free the boiler from the contents may also arise in case of breakage, when replacing the heating element or magnesium anode. In all these cases, the water is discharged from the unit in a similar way.
If the water in the tank simply stagnated and exudes an unpleasant smell, it is enough to open the tap and for some time drain the water to replace it with fresh. After that, turn on the maximum heat. The procedure must be repeated if it is necessary to carry out the third time, etc. This will kill all pathogens.
The procedure for the release of water heater from
Although draining water from an electric water heater is considered an ordinary procedure designed to extend the life of the appliance, it is still best to carefully read the instructions. Each brand or model may have significant differences, so all the nuances are best explored in advance.
Sometimes a manufacturer completely prevents anyone who is not a customer service representative from interfering with the operation of the device until the end of the warranty period of service.Complex heating devices should not be disassembled for complete drainage of water, so as not to incapacitate incorrect actions.
If you need to disassemble the boiler harness, do not do without a set of tools. From tools you may need:
- hexagon on 4 mm;
- adjustable wrench (you can take the gas number 2);
- rubber hose of suitable diameter;
- straight and cross-shaped screwdrivers.
Also prepare a container if the boiler does not hang over the bath and water from the heater can spill onto the floor.
Before starting work, you need to make sure that:
- Water heater disconnected from power supply.
- The cold water tap is off.
- The temperature in the tank has decreased to safe values.
You can speed up the cooling by turning off the heating mode and running some hot water to dilute it with cold water.
Drain water from electric water-heating equipment in the standard sequence:
Accounting device water heater
On the Internet there are videos in which the "craftsmen", having attached the hose and unscrewing the drain valve, expect that the water will miraculously flow out of the closed system. In order for your actions to have a conscious character, it is necessary to become familiar with the device of the water heater and the principle of its action.
Water heater device:
- Inner tank.
- Thermal insulation.
- Exterior decorative case.
- Control sensor
- Electrical cable.
- Temperature sensor.
- Conclusion heated water.
- Magnesium anode. Protects against rust and neutralizes corrosion. Requires replacement every two years.
- - a heating element.It is made mainly of nichrome spiral wrapped in a copper casing, which contributes to the rapid heating of water.
- Flow extinguisher. It prevents the mixing of layers of cold and warm water (retains cold water below). Thus, the cold streams, not mixing with the hot ones, remain at the bottom, and the hot ones - at the top. This allows you to continuously use warm water whiledoberawater from the system.
- Temperature regulator. It helps to set the heating temperature up to 75 ° C and fix it at a comfortable value. At a temperature of 85-95 ° C an automatic shutdown occurs.
- Pipe water intake from the water system.
Since the water supply pipe to the water heater is at the bottom, water can only be drained through it. Why so, you can understand, looking at the scheme. On water heaters of any manufacturers, they mark the entrance and exit. There is a blue gasket on the water supply pipe and a red one at the outlet.
Standard connection (with a tee)
This is a connection recommended by manufacturers, in which a tee with a tap is installed on the pipe section from the device to the safety valve.To drain the water from such a system tools will not be needed.
Standard connection scheme:
- Water heater
- Crane supplying water to the boiler.
- Safety valve. It is installed to prevent the return of water in the absence of it in the system.
- Tee with tap to drain.
- Tap mixer for supplying hot water.
- Cold water tap
- Shut-off valve. Blocks hot water from the appliance.
If the water-heating unit is connected correctly, it will take no more than 10 minutes to drain the water from its tank.
Step by stepDrain water from the water heater can be described as:
- The device is turned off from the outlet, cut off the water supply to the water heater (2).
- The hot water valve (5) is opened, and liquid is drained from the pipe through the mixer (7). The crane (5) is left open - air will flow through it.
- Put on the drain hose, open the drain valve (4) and drain the water.
- As soon as the water is gone, close the shut-off valve (8).
The procedure may take several hours. It can be accelerated only by removing the hose from the cold water intake pipe - thereby increasing the size of the jet.
The reason for a long drain can be a bad flow of air into the system through the mixer.You can remedy the situation by either removing the hose from the pipe to bring out the hot water, or by connecting a pump (compressor) to the hose with which you can pump air into the system.
To start the water heater, it is necessary to close the valve on the hot water pipe (5) and the drain valve (4), open the cold water access (2) to the device. It is possible to switch on the boiler to the socket only after full filling.
The system can be improved - the drain pipe is connected to the sewage system. The draining process will take place completely without effort and without a single spilled drop.
Advanced standard connection type
It is very convenient when the tee is placed on both sides - at the cold inlet and heated water outlet.
With this strapping, work is carried out in the following sequence:
- Shut off the tap at the entrance of the water into the device.
- Put on the drain hose.
- Open the mixer to relieve the pressure inside the tank and drain the remaining water in the hose.
Direct the drain hose into the sewer or prepared container and turn the air supply valve on the tee to the open position.
Simplified way to connect the boiler
Simplified, this method can only be called from the point of view of the employee who performs it. For the very same user of the device, he will create a lot of inconvenience. The procedure for draining the water goes like this:
- Stop the flow of water into the device.
- The mixer is opened and the rest of warm water is released from the hose.
- Open the box on the safety valve and drain the water.
The difficulty is that water will be drained for a very long time, since in order to drain it, it is necessary that air be introduced into the container. From the mixer it will pass badly. Or not at all. The problem is solved by removing the hot water pipe. Twist to carefully not to damage the thread.
So that the next run-up process is much easier, take advantage of the fact that the boiler harness has been disassembled and assembled correctly.
With any connection some deviations from the standard scheme are possible.First, the shut-off valve, which is installed in order to shut off the flow of warm water to the mixer may be missing. In this case, while the water from the boiler is drained, it is necessary to make sure that no family member uses the plumbing, otherwise the water will flow into the boiler through the mixer, filling it.
Secondly, the real problem may be the lack of a flag that opens the drain on the safety valve.
In order not to remove the valve from the water heater, you will have to hold the spring (see figure) for as long as water flows.
Emergency water removal
If there is no time to wait until the water from the water heater gradually merges or the waste valve does not work, there is a way to do this much faster.
Actions are performed in the following sequence:
- Overlap the cold water. If the water supply valve to the boiler is absent, then the water supply at the entrance to the apartment is blocked.
- Open the valve at the outlet of warm water from the heater, while the internal pressure is compared with the external.Then the valve is closed.
- If the water heater does not hang over the bath, substitute a bucket or a deep basin.
- Disconnect the hose for warm water.
- Turn off the tee with a waste valve (again, this should be done only if the waste valve does not work or if you need to drain the water very quickly).
It remains only to have time to change the capacity. To stop the flow of water during the replacement of tanks, block the flow of air into the heater.
Drain from the electric boiler residual water
The device of the boiler is such that no matter how you try to carefully drain the water, it is still some amount of liquid, and with it the sediment will remain inside. How to drain all the water from the water heater without residue, consider further:
- Drain the bulk of the water in one of the ways described above.
- Turn off the decorative cover, which is located at the bottom of the tank.
- Holding the cover, disconnect the signal lamp wiring.
- Disconnect electrical wires. To properly attach them back, you can take a picture of their original placement.
- Then, slowly, counterclockwise, they unscrew the flange, which serves as a support for, first simply loosening the nuts, and allowing the remaining water to gently drain from the tank, and then unscrewing completely.
- Take out slowly, trying not to damage it and the tank.
Note that the heating element may scum, which will prevent it from escaping from the tank. Therefore, if during the removal of the TEN- one feels resistance, take it out carefully, moving left and right.
If you had to drain the water from the boiler, you will have to clean it at the same time. After removing the flange and removing the doubts in this will not remain.
Rules for disassembly and washing of the water heater
If there is a lot of sediment in the tank, part of it can be removed manually. Before this, remove the rubber gasket, which serves as an insulator between the flange and the tank of the water heater. It should also be cleaned.
The inner walls and bottom are washed with a hose with water. You can connect cold water to a hot outlet. Inside the water heater a tube for collecting heated water reaches the very top. Water entering the tube is slightly sprayed and washes the inner walls of the tank. Run the water in several stages and scavenge debris from the bottom.
If, after washing in the tank, there is an unpleasant smell, you can treat it with a solution of vinegar. On a long stick they fix a sponge dipped in vinegar and wipe the inside surfaces.
Cleaning the heater is first manually. Using a screwdriver or a knife, remove the top loose layer of plaque. All that has not been removed is removed after soaking the heating element in citric acid.
For this, a hole in the plastic bottle is made slightly larger in diameter than the size. Hot water is poured into it and citric acid is poured (vinegar can be used). Leave for a day, from time to time mixing the solution or replacing it with a new one.
At the end of this period, the softened scale is removed and easily removed. This can be done with a wooden or plastic spatula.
Gather the boiler in the reverse order and run water. Before you turn on the device in the mains, it is checked for leaks.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
Video # 1. Once again about the discharge of water with a standard connection of an electric water heater:
Video # 2. What to do if there is no check box on the safety valve:
Video # 3. Operational way to drain water from the heater:
Like any device that has contact with water, an electric water heater requires special care. Corrosion, oxidation of threaded connections, scale and downtime can lead to the fact that the device will serve much less than the period stated by the manufacturer. Therefore, competent operation and timely preventive maintenance are so important.