How to connect a cooler?
Watch the video
A cooler in a computer is an important cooling element. The cooler is designed to protect the computer parts from overheating. Select a cooler will help information from our article. How to choose a cooler.
Cooler insertion options
If you want to replace such a detail of the computer as a cooler, you first need to figure out how it is attached.
- Coolers can be connected by doubleconnector (connection in this case is made to the motherboard and power supply unit). Tips for installing the device you will find also in our article How to install a cooler.
- Recently, in order to save the cooler soldered to the circuit board. This significantly complicates their replacement. In this case, it is not recommended to replace the cooler yourself.
More information on how to connect the fans can be found in our article How to connect a fan.
Connectors on the motherboard
When deciding how to connect a cooler, it is worth remembering that the connectors for its connection can be two-, three- and four-pin.
- Two-pin connector. Power will be supplied via red and black wires (+ 12V and -12V to the first and second contacts, respectively). In order to learn the device of the fan, it is necessary to disassemble it - about this in our article - How to disassemble a cooler.
- If the connector is three-pin, it will be attachedand a yellow wire. This information guide, whose purpose: to control the speed of rotation of the cooler. It is not necessary to connect it, the device will be able to work without it.
- If the connector is four-pin, the blue wire will also be connected. Its main purpose is to control the speed of rotation by signaling. Such connectors are rarely used.
To speed up the work of the cooler it will be useful to get acquainted with the information stated in our article How to increase the speed of the cooler.
How to connect the cooler to the motherboard? To do this, you need to use a pin connector, near which the inscription SYS_FAN is most often.
Connection to power supply unit
The color marking on the wires that go to the power supply is different. Red wire: + 5V. Black - common wires (plug into the GND connectors). Yellow: + 12V.
One red wire connects independently,the second - together with the yellow one. Red with a red plug is not worth it, nothing bad happens, just a cooler will spin very slowly. And if, in doing so, also attract polarity, the cooler will not work at all.
Also, the device may require lubrication - how to lubricate it in our article. Than lubricate the cooler.