How to choose a humidifier-air purifier: types, tips on choosing + review of the best models
The variety of devices for the normalization of the microclimate can lead to a dead end, even a seasoned consumer. Before you choose a household humidifier-air purifier, you should understand the features and evaluate the performance of different devices, as well as decide on the required equipment parameters.
In advance, you need to find out the minimum necessary functionality so as not to overpay for secondary options.
When you can not do without air cleaner-humidifier
The market for climate systems and equipment is replenished annually with new technological devices. The main purpose of the units is to improve the characteristics of indoor air. Air purifiers and humidifiers that perform two radically different tasks are in constant demand.
The importance and necessity of buying a particular device is determined individually.For example, for people with an allergic reaction to pollen or dust, the purchase of a cleaner with multi-stage filtration becomes a priority. It is important for a family with young children to control the normalized moisture index, since a dry air environment lowers immunity and contributes to the rapid "setting" of viruses by babies.
However, to achieve a healthy microclimate, one cannot neglect any parameter. Under the conditions of a megacity, it is difficult to call the air in apartments clean - automobile exhausts, street dust and polluted vapors penetrate inside the premises. The situation with humidity is no better - with the onset of the heating season, the percentage of moisture in the atmosphere drops to 25%, instead of 60-65% regulated by sanitary standards.
First of all, polluted and dried air has a negative effect on humans. Likely consequences:
- sore throat, dizziness, weakness and fatigue;
- the development of allergic reactions (especially in children);
- mucosal irritation and skin dryness;
- the course of viral diseases in a complex form.
Dry air contributes to the increase of static electricity coming from a computer, TV and other equipment. As a result, the dust is electrified and rises.
Types of units: features of the device and operation
In order not to get lost in the variety of devices and make the right choice, one should proceed from individual needs. Some models are focused on moistening, and cleaning is a minor task. Others, on the contrary, qualitatively filter the air and partially increase its humidity. There are universal devices that equally perform cleaning and moisturizing.
This category includes household cleaners with a built-in moisturizing filter. In fact, the device first performs a phased cleaning of the incoming air, and then passes it through the hydraulic filter to the outside.
The degree of purification is determined by the levels and types of filtration:
- Mechanical.Provides pre-cleaning, trapping coarse debris and wool particles. Primary filtering is performed by reusable fabric or plastic nets. The mechanical barrier holds particles in 5-10 microns.
- Carbonic.The main task is to remove extraneous odors due to the multitude of micropores in the absorption material. The addition of zeolite to coal increases the spectrum of action, eliminating volatile harmful gases (freon, formaldehyde). The filter is ineffective in a wet room.
- Photocatalytic.They act on the principle of UV radiation, splitting bacteria, toxins into water and carbon dioxide. Manufacturers claim self-healing qualities of the filter - to update the properties it is enough to “fry” in the sun. The cleaning efficiency reaches 98-99%.
- Electrostatic.The operation of the ionizer filter is based on the mutual attraction of bipolar charges. Air masses, passing through the ionization chamber, acquire a positive charge. At the exit, they are deposited on the plates having a negative charge. Dust removal - 85-90%.
- HEPA filter.Made of dense fiberglass, holding particles of 0.3 microns or more. Cleaners with HEPA-filtration - the best option for allergies. The level of air purification is up to 99.8%.
In the combined cleaners used the traditional method of moistening - "cold evaporation."
Ionizer Moisturizer - Purification by Anions
Significantly improve the microclimate will help humidifier-ionizer. The main task of the device is high-quality humidification of the air environment, an additional bonus is enrichment with negatively charged ions. The device approximates apartment air parameters to natural parameters - it becomes easier to breathe.
Anions activate saturation of the body with oxygen, absorb dust and harmful impurities. The environment gradually “heals” - particles in the atmosphere tend to settle down, and the person breathes clean air.
By the principle of operation, ionizing humidifiers and air purifiers are “cold” or ultrasonic evaporation. In the first case, the polluted air flow passes through the “water bath”, is cleaned, saturated with moisture and enriched with aero ions at the outlet.
In an ultrasonic humidifier, water is supplied to the pulsating membrane. As the speed of oscillation increases, the liquid breaks up into tiny particles, transforming into an aerosol. Water mist is fed by the fan up to the ionizer, and then to the room.
Ultrasonic devices are more effective in terms of hydration and cleaning. The main advantages: maximum humidity - more than 70%, the ability to automatically adjust the performance, the destruction of microorganisms when heated water on the ultrasonic membrane.
A common disadvantage of ionizing humidifiers is settling on the floor, furniture and surfaces of dust objects. When buying equipment, you must be prepared for frequent wet cleaning. However, it is better to regularly wipe the dust than to inhale it.
Air cleaning - effective hydrofiltration
Air washing is a peculiar hybrid of a cleaning unit and a traditional humidifier. When compared with the latter, the "air washers" benefit by two parameters:
- increased performance;
- the possibility of cleaning the air masses.
Disadvantages of equipment: relatively noisy work and high cost.
Sinks are attractive by simultaneously performing two tasks: cleaning and moistening the air. However, do not assume that the unit is fully replace the cleaner for allergies. The sink is not capable of holding the smallest allergens - particles less than 1-2.5 microns will pass through the water barrier in transit and return to the room. Hydrofiltering is amenable to particles of wool, large construction and household dust, lint, etc.
The principle of "washing":
- The tank to the marked mark is filled with water - the discs should be 2/3 submerged in water.
- The fan turns on and draws polluted air through the upper channel.
- Streams rush to the drum, and moistened due to the rotating elements.
- Particles of dirt are heavy, stick to the shaft and are washed into the pan.
- Purified, moistened air masses are blown out.
In some models, the air is not processed by a disk drum, but passes through a water screen. A perforated plastic cone is installed in the center of the pallet; as it rotates, a lot of water jets pass through it, clearing the air flow.
In order to improve the quality of cleaning manufacturers complement the "wash" filters.
Climate complexes - balance of functionality
The air conditioner combines almost the full range of functions to maintain an optimal microclimate. Equipment solves the following tasks:
- Cleaning upMost models provide multi-stage filtration of air flow, including coarse cleaning, removal of allergens and antibacterial treatment.
- Freedom from odors.An improved filter system with biophotocatalysts copes with undesirable odors better than an absorbent carbon barrier in conventional air purifiers.
- Moisturizing.Complexes provide high-quality hydration. High-tech modifications are equipped with an intelligent relative humidity control system for operating the unit in autonomous mode without the participation of the owner.
- Ventilation.Often, the room ventilation function is integrated into the air conditioner - the device creates a stream of air.
In addition to the basic options, manufacturers complement the equipment with secondary functionality: ionization, aromatization, air dehydration, etc. Some air conditioners are able to partially perform the tasks of a split system - cooling / heating the room.
The high cost of the device and the high cost of replaceable filter cartridges are the main arguments for not using the air conditioner. If the purchase budget allows, the climate complex is the best choice. There are no restrictions in use - the equipment is the same for people with allergies, people with weak respiratory systems and young children.
Selection Criteria: What Should Be Considered
The efficiency of operation and ease of use of the air cleaner / humidifier depend on the initial characteristics and compliance of the device with the operating conditions. Model selection should be based on the following parameters:
- noise exposure;
- Energy consumption;
- the number of modes of operation;
- filtration / humidification quality;
- maintenance costs;
- additional options;
Performance. Each unit is designed to service a certain footage. The area of the room - the main parameter of the choice of air cleaner and humidifier, regardless of the type of model.
The nuances of choice:
- it is necessary to determine in advance the installation room of the unit - it is advisable to make a reserve over an area of 5 square meters;
- When purchasing one device for several rooms, the area of the larger room is taken into account.
An important feature is the cleaning rate. The quality of the air cleaner depends on the capacity of the volume of the room. The air exchange rate ranges from 80-450 cubic meters / hour.
Noise impact. For round-the-clock application, it is necessary to choose a low-speed model with a noise figure of up to 35 dB. In the nursery or bedroom it is better to put a low noise unit - within 20 dB.
The strength of the sound is determined by the fan power and design features. Disk "air washers" are less noisy compared with the conical type of hydrofiltration. Within normal limits, noise exposure in cleaners with "cold" or ultrasonic moisture.
Energy consumption. This indicator plays an important role when using a climate device around the clock. It is clear that the power consumption of high-performance devices will be appropriate. Therefore, there is no sense in chasing a super-power device - everything should be in moderation.
Modes of operation. Several speeds of cleaning / moistening will allow to pick up the most suitable mode and to optimize an expense of the electric power.
Filtration / humidification quality. The degree of cleaning depends on the filtering system used, and humidification - on the type of device. The qualitative characteristics of the devices were discussed above. For clarity, information can be systematized:
- cleaner with the option of moistening - a high rate of cleaning with moderate moisture saturation (on average - up to 50%);
- humidifier-ionizer - providing moisture up to 70%, single-stage cleaning with ionization (for allergic people the device is ineffective);
- air washing - high-quality moistening and cleaning of “coarse” pollution, is powerless against allergens;
- air conditioning - indicators of cleaning / moisturizing at a high level.
Maintenance costs. It is necessary to consider in advance the exactingness of the equipment for care and the regularity of changing filters. The price issue is less expensive maintenance of air washing and humidifiers, ionizers.
Secondary functionality. Manufacturers are trying to highlight their product, integrating various "utility." Additional practical options:
- hygrostat - a humidity sensor turns the device into operation when the air is dry and shuts off - with sufficient moisture saturation;
- flavoring - a compartment for placing aroma capsules will allow you to fill the housing with your favorite fragrance;
- timer - programming the duration of the work;
- lights - if necessary, can replace a full night light.
Dimensions.The dimensions of the humidifier-cleaner are important if the device is purchased to service different rooms. To carry a bulky unit will be problematic. Possible solution - the presence of wheels.
Browse brands and popular models
Products of the following trademarks can boast of high quality and durability: Venta (Germany), Boneco (Switzerland), Sharp (Japan), Panasonic (Japan), Bork (Germany), Electrolux (Sweden). Among domestic brands, Fanline has gained a reputation as a reliable manufacturer.
Range of Venta air washers
"Sinks" Venta used in everyday life and in production. For home manufacturer offers three versions: LW15, LW25 and LW45. Each device is designed for a specific area of moisture / cleaning.
- use of aroma additives;
- the possibility of connecting the hygrostat;
- in case of water shortage, work is stopped;
- lack of replaceable cartridges;
- when using the hygienic means Venta-Absorber, it is permissible to replace the water twice a month.
Estimated price LW15 - 250-300 USD, LW45 - 550 USD
Boneco - washing with air ionization
The Swedish company has developed an air washer with an ionizing rod. Model W2055D except coarse cleaning performs antibacterial protection and aromatization of the liquid. Along with the impressive service area, the Boneco sink saves energy.
W2055D is equipped with a cleaning indicator, and its maintenance does not require the purchase of replacement filters. An additional plus is the competitive cost in the range of 230-260 USD
Cons of the model: relatively large dimensions (36 * 36 cm, 5.9 kg) and insufficient cleaning for allergy sufferers.
Sharp COP - a symbiosis of cleaning and moisturizing
Purifiers-humidifiers series KS (840E, 850E, 860E) - full-function air conditioning with high-quality filtration. Devices work on technology Plasmacluster ionization.
Sharp KC's strengths:
- three speed fan;
- filtration system includes: coarse cleaning, anti-bacterial HEPA-filter, absorbent deodorizing barrier;
- the presence of sensors odor, dust, humidity and temperature;
- energy saving inverter control;
- the mode "fight against pollen", "ion rain" is provided.
In the air conditioning there are two fans, the air flow is produced at an angle of 20 °.
"Smart" climate complex from Panasonic
Japanese equipment Panasonic F-VXH50 - the embodiment of innovative solutions in the struggle for clean air. The cleansing complex minimizes the content of allergens, pollution and “smoothes” the moisture index.
- Nanoe technology.The module generates radicals in the water, due to which the efficiency of removing odors and bacteria increases. Since nanoparticles are formed from moisture contained in the atmosphere, the Nanoe module practically does not wear out.
- Cleaning with a composite air filter.The device catches allergens and viruses. The degree of filtration is 99%.
- Econavi function. Optimization of air cleaning speed, activation of the device as needed.
- Mega Catcher.3D circulation and powerful air intake. Provides a uniform intake and exhaust air flow.
F-VXH50 eliminates odors, providing high-quality cleaning due to air, deodorizing and moisturizing filters.
The cost of the F-VXH50 is 450-500 USD
Bork A802 - two-tier filtering
The second name for the A802 air cleaner / humidifier is Rain. The model has a convenient bay system, simple and elegant design, combined with functionality.
Technical and operational characteristics of A802:
- service area - 30 square meters;
- noise range - 6-42 dB;
- power - 23 W;
- water tank volume - 3.2 l;
- maximum moistening - 600 ml / h;
- touch control panel;
- availability of hygrometer, indicators of operating modes (5 speeds).
Air passes two levels of cleaning. First, the enzyme filter removes mold spores, bacteria, and passing through the water, the air stream gets rid of dust particles.
Conclusions and useful video on the topic
Device, principle of operation, efficiency and recommendations for servicing Venta air washers:
Characteristics of air washers Boneco (series W2055D, W2055DR):
Possibilities of the Panasonic F-VXH50 climate system:
The ability to compare their own needs with the characteristics of the cleaner-humidifier is the main condition for the unmistakable selection of a climate instrument.The final decision should be made only after the evaluation of all relevant parameters.