How do I remove the carriage?
Watch the video
A bicycle, like any vehicle,requires timely servicing: wheel swapping, lubrication of moving elements, screwing up bolts, etc. As the bicycle has to travel not always along good and clean roads, the carriage-bearing unit connecting the frame with the connecting rods and transmitting the torque to the bicycle rods is subject to external influence.
If the sounds of crunching or clicking start to appear, as well as backlash, then it's time either to touch the carriage, or to change (in case it is not folding).
In order to remove the carriage, the following tools are required:
- slotted wrench;
- crush rod;
- a puller of the carriage;
- car key;
Let's consider step by step how to remove the carriage in order to eliminate the cause of "crunches".
Removing the bicycle carriage
- Set the bike steadily. Perhaps it's more convenient to turn it on the seat. The analysis of the carriage starts on the left side (where there are no stars).
- Use a screwdriver to pick up the end caps of the pedals.
- Unscrew the connecting rod bolt, which is located at the end of the carriage shaft.
- With the help of the crank rod, remove the connecting rod from the carriage shaft.
- Screw the threaded part into the connecting rod until it stops.
- Remove the connecting rod from the carriage and wipe the seats.
- If there is a lock nut, unscrew it with a car key.
- Then use the slotted key or the puller of the carriage to unscrew the left adapter cup counterclockwise, and then the right one clockwise.
Now, when the carriage is removed, you can either replace the bearings in it, or install a new carriage.
Also, when repairing an iron horse, you can be useful articles How to assemble a bicycle and How to set up a bicycle.