Greek Football Championship 2018-2019
The season of the 2018/2019 Championship of Greece in football - the 83rd draw of this tournament - started on August 25, 2018. The last round of the Greek Football Super League will take place on 5 May next year. According to the regulations of this competition, 16 teams will take part in it.
Below is a list of football clubs participating in the 2018/2019 Greek Championship:
- AEK is the current champion of Greece.
- Apollo Smyrnis.
- "Aris Saloniki".
- Asteras Tripolis.
- "Skoda Xanthi".
- "AEL Larisa".
- "PAS Ioannina".
Two teams received a ticket to the Greek Super League due to the results shown in the second division of Greek football - the Football League, also known as the Beta Ethnics.
- The OFI club, representing the island of Crete, scored 86 points, scoring the most in the tournament, and became the champion of the Football League,
- The silver medal of the second division was FC Aris from Thessaloniki. This team scored 85 points.It is noteworthy that “Aris” lost only once in the 34 rounds of the Beta Ethniki.
According to the rules of the championship, the two worst teams of the season 2017/2018 left the Super League:
- The football team "Kerkyra" scored 22 points and took 15th place
- The last place holder - the Platanias Club from the city of the same name located on the island of Crete - scored 10 points and dropped out in the second division of Greek football with the worst score difference between goals and missed goals among the teams of the Super League 2017/2018.
The table below lists the cities of Greece and the clubs that represent them in the top division of Greek football:CityTeams
|Athens||AEK, Apollon Smirnis, Atromitos, Panathinaikos, Panionios|
|Thessaloniki||“Aris Saloniki”, “PAOK”|
|Piraeus (a suburb of Athens)||Olympiacos|
This section contains the schedule of tours of the championship of Greece on football season 2018/2019.
The table below contains information about the stadiums of the clubs of the Greek Super League season 2018/2019.ClubStadium nameCapacity
|"AEK"||Athens Olympic Stadium||69638|
|Apollon Smyrnis||"Georgios Camaras"||27770|
|"Aris Saloniki"||"Kleantis Vikedelis"||23800|
|"Asteras Tripolis"||"Theodoros Kolokotronis"||7616|
|"Skoda Xanthi"||"Skoda Xanthi"||7244|
|"AEL Larisa"||Stadium of football club "Larisa"||16118|
The Greek Football Championship is in 14th place in the UEFA odds table. Due to this, five Greek football teams got the right to participate in qualifying rounds of European football tournaments:
- The national champion, AEK from Athens, began the UEFA Champions League performance from the third qualifying round. Having defeated Celtic from Glasgow and the Hungarian Mol Vidi club in the playoff round in the third round, the reigning champion of Greece in the group E, where he will play with Bayern, Ajax and Benfica.
- "PAOK", being the silver medalist of the Greek Super League 2017/2018, beat the Swiss Basel in the second qualifying round of the Champions League,after which he defeated Spartak Moscow. The total score of the “red-white” and “PAOK” confrontation was 3-2, and the teams played a draw at the Otkrytie Arena in Moscow. In the playoff round, the club from Thessaloniki city lost to the Portuguese Benfica with a total score of 5-2, after which it ended up in the Europa League group stage, where it will play in Group L with Chelsea, BATE and Mol Vidi.
- The most titled club of Greece - Olympiacos - twice beat Swiss Luzern twice in the third qualifying round of the UEFA Europa League. After two matches with the English Burnley team, which ended with a total score of 4-2 in favor of the Greek club, the team from Piraeus fell into group F. Her rivals will be Milan, Real Betis and Luxembourg's F91 Dudelange club.
- Atromitos lost in the second qualifying round of the Europa League to the Dynamo football club from Belarus Brest with a total score of 5-4, after which he dropped out of the trophy draw.
- Asteras Tripolis lost the Scottish team Hibernian in a tense struggle, after which he also dropped out of the tournament draw. The overall score of this match of the second qualifying round of the UEFA Europa League - 4-3.
As in other football championships, there are fundamental rivalries in the Greek Super League.In the 2018/2019 season, viewers will be able to watch some of them:
- The most famous Greek derby is the “Derby of Eternal Enemies” between Olympiakos and Panathinaikos. These clubs are the most titled among all Greek teams. At the moment, Olympiacos has 77 victories, while its irreconcilable opponent gained the upper hand 49 times against the opposition. 66 matches between these teams ended in a draw. Greek football fans often refer to this derby as the “mother of all battles”.
- "Derby of Northern Greece" between the clubs "Aris" and "PAOK", representing the city of Thessaloniki.
- “Derby of Greece” between Olympiakos and PAOKom. An interesting fact is the presence of alliances between the fan associations of PAOK and Moscow-based CSKA, as well as Olympiacos and Spartak. The rivalry between "Spartak" and "CSKA", in turn, is called by many Russian football fans "the main derby of the country"
- “Double-headed eagle derby” between “AEKom” and “PAOKom”. The name of the derby is due to the fact that the emblems of both clubs show a double-headed eagle.
The last two derbies illustrate the unspoken rivalry between the two largest cities of Greece - Athens and Thessaloniki.
Greek Football Championship is not the most popular league in Europe. Despite this, the spectacular game of the best Greek teams, both in the domestic champion and in European competitions, makes many football fans around the world show interest in the Super League. This season, the top division of Greek football fans will face stubborn opposition to the champion title and to maintain registration in the Super League.